Need a little motivational kick up the ass? We’ve got you covered…
Oh the weekend, how we miss you already! Those glorious two days we both love and loathe at the same time — unwinding and relaxing, yet knowing full well 48 hours isn’t merely enough! And sorry to break it to you, but it is only Tuesday. So, to give you a motivational kick up the ass and help you tackle the week ahead, we’re going to talk about a man who backs himself like no other! Yep, you guessed it — Michael Jordan.
We’ll not go into too much detail, as no doubt you’ve all watched the insanely good The Last Dance documentary on Netflix (if you haven’t, definitely give it a watch) — but if there’s one thing can we all take away from those 1o inspirational episodes, is that if you back yourself and push yourself (like, really) then the sky literally is the limit! And just for a bit of motivational fun, we’ve rounded up our top five MJ highlights…
1. In 1996 he made it onto the list of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, as well as repeatedly smashing record after record until the end of his career. Having your name go down in basketball history? Damn, that must feel good!
2. In 2016, President Barack Obama honoured him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honour in the United States…wowza!
3. He doesn’t half give back and is widely known for his charitable work. For example; after the September 11 attacks, Jordan decided to donate his entire salary to the recovery effort and the victims of the attacks. From 2001 to 2014, Jordan hosted an annual golf tournament called the Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational, which raised funds for several charities. As of 2019, he had raised more than $5 million for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. After Hurricane Florence, Jordan donated $2 million to relief efforts and he also gave $1 million to aid the Bahamas’ recovery following Hurricane Dorian in 2019…just to name a few!
4. The guy has his own sneakers for crying out loud! The Nike Air Jordans we all know and love have been flying off the shelves since 1984 and we can’t say we’re surprised. Not only are they stylish as hell, they’re damn comfy too!
5. Jordan has the highest points per game average in NBA history, winning the scoring title a ridiculously impressive 10 times!
Now we’re not saying you have to be exactly like Mike here because let’s be honest, the guy’s a machine, but there’s no doubt about it, Michael Jordan knew his worth and he did everything in his power to be the best. Even playing golf he backs himself, once saying “I never bet on games, I only bet on myself”. And whether he is actually the best golf player or not, it doesn’t matter, because when you believe you’re the best, then you’ll always strive to hold onto that #1 spot.
So there you have it! No matter what your dreams and goals are, don’t let anyone ever tell you they’re impossible or unreachable. As long as you back yourself, then there’s no reason you can’t make it.
We hope we’ve inspired you enough to kick this week’s ass and remember, stay safe, stay healthy and don’t forget to download the Stakester app!